FORT WORTH, Texas —The city of Fort Worth, like many cities in the south, has a history of hate.
Just two miles from city hall stands a four-story building at 1012 N. Main St. that serves as a reminder the city was once home to one of the strongest Klu Klux Klan communities in the country. The building used to be an auditorium and headquarters for the Fort Worth Klan, also known as Klavern (lodge) no. 101. The structure is believed to be the last standing building purposely built for the KKK in the country.
In 1922, Klavern 101 boasted they were 6,000 strong, city records show Fort Worth’s population in 1920 was 106,482.
When new members were initiated into the KKK they would take an oath of allegiance to the “Invisible…