PETERSHAM — The Nichewaug Inn and Academy Committee has plans to hold a public information meeting in early February to go over the results of a community survey conducted to gauge public opinion on the possible future of the imposing complex at the center of Petersham. Results of the survey were discussed at the most recent meeting of the committee.
While an inn has existed on the site since the mid-19th century, the current building was constructed in 1899 and served patrons until closing its doors in 1949. Two years later, the building was sold to the Sisters of Maria Assumpta, who operated a girls’ school until 1972. The property served as a retreat for the Sisters until 1985. Since then, it has been unoccupied.
It has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places and in 2003, PreservationMass named it among the state’s Most Endangered Historic Resources.